Sunday, February 28, 2010

Saddle Club Yums

Today I went down to the Rider's Cafe down at the Saddle Club at Bukit Timah. It's a lovely place with a nice view of grassy meadows and the occasional horse which wanders by. One of my favourite restaurants is actually located here; The Mimolette, but I'll save that review for another time.

I went down with a friend and since we didn't make reservations, we had to wait for about half an hour for it to clear up some. Sunday morning/afternoons are crowded! I'm thinking it must be the brunch crowd. Saw two NYP lecturers having brunch there, would have talked to them but they seemed busy. :3

We wandered around the grassy plains while waiting for our table to be ready and were mildly startled by the appearance of two horses with their riders behind us. Nice horsies!

Upon finally being seated, I was quite delighted to find out that brunch lasted till 2pm and I happily ordered the Rider's... breakfast? I think that's what it's called. It consisted brown toast, a choice of bacon, sausage or ham, eggs either scrambled or sunny side up, breakfast taters and baked beans. My friend ordered pancakes with whipped cream and berry compote.





Are these pancakes not lovely. Fat fluffy things dusted with a layer of powdered sugar. Mmmm. Apparently the cream was very good but I didn't try any because I was preoccupied with this.



You know, very often my scrambled eggs are dry and tasteless and otherwise quite inedible without a good lashing of cracked pepper and tomato ketchup. But these eggs were different. Rich and bursting with savoury eggy flavour, these were really tasty and needed no condiments whatsoever. The baked beans were a tad bit too salty though, and the bacon really fatty and a little thin. Breakfast taters were good, hard to go wrong with that. And brown toast was just that; brown toast with a huge gob of whipped butter. I didn't touch the grapes or the conserve though. o.o

I really recommend this place to hang out during the weekend or when you feel like escaping city life. Rider's cafe is a lovely and inexpensive place to have brunch, lunch or breakfast and after dining you can wander around outside to look at the horses.

Price per head is about $15-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment