Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vday Part One : Daikokuya

Hooray, Valentines Day, a day to eat roses and drink rum and be merry whether you be single or taken. The flavour of the day though was ramen. We were going to catch Percy Jackson at Cineleisure and decided to find lunch at Paragon. Oh Paragon how you have changed.

A lot of restaurants have shifted location or had a remake done to the facade. A small handful of new restaurants have also opened up. One of these restaurants was Daikokuya. It was a tough choice really, between Canele and Daikokuya because I love my French food and I love my Japanese food. The ramen won though.

There has been a recent spate of ramen shops opening all round Singapore, I'm guessing this has to do with Ippudo opening and this has resulted in fad ramen shops opening up all over the place. All the new malls have one ramen place there at least now, really.

Daikokuya has a lovely range of ramen available from different parts of Japan like Tokyo, Sapporo and Kyushu, each with their own unique broths and noodle types. ... I really should have taken photos of the menu.

Tokyo ramen boasts a finely made chicken broth base, cooked for 8 hours long and slightly thickish ramen noodles. Sapporo ramen uses tonkotsu broth, better known as pork bone broth and is cooked for 12 hours, giving it a rich creamy flavour. Kyushu ramen also uses chicken broth but this time infused with charred garlic oil. Very interesting! There are also shoyu and miso variations of the soup so one is very spoilt for choice here.



So this is what I got. Yes it's a camera phone photo. With flash. I am terrible. This is Sapporo ramen with tonkotsu base. See how nice the soup is. That's black fungus, some pickled.. brown things.. and lovely slices of pork belly. Oh my goodness the pork belly was so tasty and so fatty it's almost just as good as the more traditional roast pork rounds.

My boy had a shoya cha shu ramen which had a chicken broth heavily flavoured with shoyu. When I say heavily flavoured, I mean it; the soup was a deep rich brown colour, nicely complementing the roast pork slices which were floating gently on the noodles. I've never been a big fan of shoyu based ramen, I've always felt that the shoyu was often too salty and overpowering, thus not giving a 'pure' flavour of the broth and noodles. No photos though. D:



What is ramen without gyoza. I LOVE GYOZA. Crunchety crispetty grilled on one side steamed on the other pork goodness. And so good with vinegar on the side. An order comes in 6 or 10; we ate two before I remembered to take photos. The best gyoza I've had was in Japan in small cheap ramen shop by the road side but these'll do. Mmmm gyoza. :D

All in all I enjoyed myself muchly. I'm not sure about going back there so soon though because of the many new ramen shops now available, just waiting for me to try.

Average price per head would be about S$18.

No comments:

Post a Comment