Friday, February 12, 2010

First Post : TGIFridays

I am finally starting up a food blog, something my parents have been nagging me to do since day one. I've always loved food and I'm always on the search for nice tasty but not necessarily expensive yumyums. I apologize for the current lack of photos, I have yet to get into the habit of taking photos of food before I eat.

Too often I get so taken by the arrival of the food that I start whacking it and forget all about taking photos. I'd better stop that, I think or there'll be photos of empty plates here instead.

To start off the first post, I shall talk about my trip to TGIFriday's at the Heeren.

I have always loved TGIF and remember going there when I was a kid when it was still located at the glass house near park mall. I can't quite remember what I used to eat there but I remembered the decor being lively and very american. I also remember always ordering mud pies when I was there; I do adore mudpies.

I was sad when they closed and moved out of the glass house; fish and co is there now I think? And I used to wonder if they'd ever come back . They did.

So after I got off work yesterday afternoon, it being a half day and all since CNY is just round the corner, I wandered off with my boyfriend towards Orchard 313. We never quite got there. Instead I suggested trying out TGIF since it was a favourite childhood restaurant.

I have to say it was quite an experience. We were greeted and led up the stairs into the air conditioned part of the restaurant and left there with two menus. We only came in at around 3pm and that is most definitely off peak but it took forever for a server to wander into where we were seated. And it wasn't like we were the only ones in that area, there were a few other people there too.

We pored through the menu for a while before I decided on getting the Caesar salad with grilled chicken and he got the BBQ burger. Again I apologize for the lack of photos.

We flailed our arms for a bit, trying to grab a waiter's attention and only succeeded after making a spectacle of ourselves. We ordered our food and asked for two iced waters. The iced waters really took their time. It's just water man, not some cocktail. In fact the water came AFTER the food. What's up with that.

Food comes. We're hungry and we dig in. First thing I notice, my poor salad is absolutely drowning in dressing, rendering this possibly healthy choice a totally unhealthy one. It's a lie of a salad, like dousing fat all over your veggies or eating a head of cabbage with a jar of mayo. Urgh.

So picking my way through my salad, I noted a distinct lack of parmesan cheese. Tiny strings could be found, but you had to look for them. The chicken was dry but this is normal, it's chicken breast and they're not the juiciest of cuts. However it lacked kick and tasted like warmed smoke flavoured chicken. Then I began to wonder, where are the croutons? Surely they were not forgotten.

I dug around my salad and lo and behold there they were, hiding under all the leaves, sitting in the dressing and becoming bread soggies. I don't like bread soggies. Why oh why would you put croutons at the bottom where the dressing is sure to collect, thus making my croutons waterlogged and icky. Like a soaked rusk.



There wasn't any bacon and really I wasn't expecting any since it wasn't put down on the menu but the bacon might have saved it. The sheer tang of the dressing was getting to me and some smokey bacon might have offset the affront it dealt to my tastebuds.

The boyfriend burger was well, a burger. Very tasty onion rings I have to admit, patty itself was so-so, bun was boring and cheese was the colour of a crayola crayon. Oh yes, he mentioned the fries were limp and overfried.



So yes, I had high hopes for you TGIFridays, I really did, I was hoping for something much better than this. I tried TGIF in Cebu and got ribs and burger and they were both awful.

Ok that was an incredibly long first post. I'll try to update as and when I have interesting food experiences. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment