Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pique Nique


Hey guys, it's been a long while since my last food entry. Lots of stuff has happened since, started school and finished it, job hunting, that sort of thing. And woah sweet jesus, the layout is different. I'm going to have a design a new banner!

So just the other day I visited this little restaurant that just opened over at Taka, taking over the mcdonalds that used to be there. KFC is still there, unfortunately. It's a dainty little place with a lovely cake display and they boast an all day breakfast menu. Anyone who knows me well enough will know that I'm a breakfast freak and will eat it at any time of day. Especially midnight.

They also serve hamburgers, a variety of mac and cheese, sandwiches and a delightful assortment of pastries like cupcakes and mini whoopie pies. I decided to go with breakfast and had a farmer's omelet which contained bacon, ham, diced taters, onions, cheese and mushrooms. Came with a choice of either a homemade english muffin or white toast. My sister ordered the same thing while my mom got a burger creatively called The Shinjuku Incident. It's basically a teriyaki burger topped with a fried egg and a side of fries. We also ordered a chicken pasta soup. I was hoping it would be something close to a new york deli chicken noodle soup, something I've been desperate to find in this country.

Sadly, my omnom nature got the better of me and I devoured my omelet as soon as it was set down on the table, completely forgetting to take a photo of it. Interestingly, I got the one which came with the homemade english muffin but I thought it was an interpretation of white toast so I got down to eating it, only for the omelet with the white toast to show up shortly after. My sister and I traded breads. The omelets had a healthy amount of fillings and was a satisfying meal. Mom's burger was ok, a fairly tasty burger which held well together and the sauce wasn't too overpowering.

Then my soup came. I took a photo this time.

It came in a little saucepan with two teensy toasties on top. It was closer to a chicken stew than a chicken soup and was thick with carrots and onions and bits of mushroom. The chicken chunks were substantial and with the pasta, this could actually be a meal on its own. Tasty, homely, but not the soup I was looking for.

We were too full to try dessert. Another time!

Now the gripes.

It's a new place, I get it. The server who was with us was new, I get it. But still, some awareness and service people! Don't hide out of sight, it's hard to flag you down! And when my mom requested for warm water, she didn't get it till the second round of asking. Also this was an odd one, but when we asked for refills, we got fresh glasses instead. What happened to the water jug? We may never know.

This one's not a true gripe but I wanted to try the mac and cheese but they were all out of it that day. I woulda liked some bolognese mac and cheese!

So overall, a decent place, prices ranging from $8 to low $20. It is a good place for friends to hang out and have long talks over lunch and then linger over tea and cupcakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment